Bisbee's Fish & Wildlife Conservation Fund Logo

PAST PROJECT: Mexico Wetlands Recovery

Bisbee's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Fund has formed a strategic partnership with Ducks Unlimited in an effort to initiate an environmental/ecological study and future restoration project for wetland habitat considered vital to thousands of species of waterfowl, shorebirds and fish, along the northern Pacific coast of Mexico.

An estimated one-third of waterfowl and shorebirds in the Pacific Coastal region of North America, winter in two bays of the Sinaloa area of Mexico – Pabellones and Santa Maria bays. Hundreds of species of fish also utilize the same habitat. Since the last decade two major changes have occurred that have destroyed large portions of inland habitat necessary for these animals and fish to proliferate – the rapid growth of shrimp farming and chemical/fertilizer runoff pollution from agricultural operations allowing their discharge to flow into and contaminate critical fresh water estuaries. Just in the state of Sinaloa 227 shrimp farms have been constructed and it is estimated that only 30% have been legally constructed and the remaining 70% were constructed with no government authorization or any environmental impact study.

The immediate goals of the study are to consolidate 12 years of land detection change along the upper Pacific coast region, determine the loss of habitat, generate a plan between Bisbee’s Fish & Wildlife Conservation Fund, Ducks Unlimited, state and federal partners, and to encourage financial partners to implement the plan.

Once this work is completed, we will have a Coastal Land Use Planning Strategy which will address what is needed for the furtherance and protection of this ecosystem that is absolutely critical for wintering and breeding habitat for thousands of waterfowl, shorebirds, and fish species so vitally dependent upon this estuary system.

To support the Bisbee's Fish & Wildlife Conservation Fund's Mexican Wetlands Recovery project, please donate by clicking here. All contributions are tax deductable and donors will receive charitable contribution receipts.